Thoughts of the spring will have us thinking about getting our lawns in order for the summer season. But what lawn care services do you need, and which ones can you do without? Smart shoppers will be on the lookout for great deals, but will also educate themselves and only get the services that will pay off with a great looking lawn.
The services that are listed below is the care that is absolutely essential to your lawns overall health. Skip any of these services, and you're just asking for trouble.
- Crabgrass Preventer - Crabgrass is one of those weeds that is impossible to get rid of once it's taken hold in your turf. Crabgrass seeds are already in your soil, just waiting for the perfect time to germinate and ruin your lawn. A crabgrass premergent can stop those seeds from germinating, and keeps your lawn crabgrass free.
- Grub Prevention - Okay, so we're a little leary of this one because of the price. It's almost always double the price of a normal treatment, and no one ever sees the grubs. But let me tell you from past personal experience, that once grubs take a hold, you'll be replacing your entire yard. Now you may not get grubs, but if you do, you'll be out a whole lotta cash. So the question is, do you feel lucky punk?
- Late Fall Fertilizer/Winterizer - Now this one really irritates me. You spend a bunch of money during the season to get your grass looking nice, and you decide that feeding the roots before winter isn't worth the couple extra bucks. One tough winter, and your lawn may not make it. Plus, those who did get this application will have a greener lawn, earlier in the spring.
These services may not be necessary, however they sure are nice to have!
- Flea & Tick Barrier - 2012 was a terrible year for fleas & ticks on our pets and in our homes. While you never missed Fido's monthly flea treatments, you were still seeing fleas enter your home on his back. A flea & tick treatment applied to your lawn can eliminate where the fleas and ticks wait to jump on Fido and your kids! Plus it's super in-expensive compared to a Pest Control Company spraying your house!
- Landscape Weed Control - Okay, so it's not a lawn service. Well, did you know that your lawn care company can also spray and prevent weeds in your landscape beds too? For a relatively inexpensive cost, lawn care companies will prevent those pesky weeds from taking over your landscape areas.
The Don't Needs
When your lawn care company is offering these services, you know they're trying to get blood from a turnip.
- A Third Summer Fertilizer Application - During the hot, dry summer, some lawn care companies slow down with sales, so they often call offering an extra application for your lawn that may be struggling. Well, adding fertilizers high in nitrogen is not the answer.
- Rolling Your Lawn - DO NOT DO THIS!!! The worst thing you can do for your lawn is to roll it in the spring! As new grass, and young grass mature in the spring, they are very delicate. Rolling your lawn can damage the "crown" of the turf plant, leading to death.
Free Guide Helps YOU Pick the Perfect Lawn Care Company!
Weed Pro's Free Lawn Care Company Hiring Guide goes through the important things to look for when hiring a lawn care company. It's yours absolutely free by clicking on the button below!