No matter what time of year, we are always asked how much would you charge to treat my lawn? While every lawn care company may be different, the answer to this question is always the same: it’s based on the square footage of your lawn. While most lawn Care companies charge around the same price, they all measure differently. Most people don't think that this is a big deal, however improper measurements can cost you hundreds of extra dollars. Choosing a company with the most accurate measuring systems will save you hundreds of dollars.
Measuring Strategies Used By Lawn Care Companies
- Using County Records: Perhaps the most common measuring strategy that lawn care companies use is to get your entire property size from the county records department, then subtract an average percentage that represents the square footage that your home makes up. When speaking with lawn care companies who use this method, most subtract 15%. This would be similar to department stores all selling women's clothing in a size 18, or all men's shirts in a XXL. Yes, we would all be covered, however we'd be paying extra for extra material we don't need.
- Measuring In Person: Another popular method companies use to determine square footage is by measuring wheel and walking your property. This method is much more accurate than using county records, but still involves a chance for human error. Curved landscaping and yards that are not rectangles or squares pose a challenge to even the best lawn care technician and can result in inaccurate measurements.
- Satellite Imagery with Property Lines: This method, currently used at Weed Pro, can estimate the size of your lawn to the square foot. Using satellite technology, with property lines designated, Weed Pro outline areas of lawn that need fertilizing. This allows Weed Pro to get an accurate measurement, and charge our customers for the EXACT AMOUNT OF FERTILIZER needed.
Why Inaccurate Measurements Cost You!
- Over Measuring - Well it's obvious that over measuring can add up to extra dollars in lawn care costs. In fact, even a small measurement error such as 1000 square feet can add over $25 to your lawn care bill. While 1000 square feet seems like a big number, that's only a 30 x 30' patio! Add in your landscaped areas, driveway, walkway, trees and you may be paying a lot more than you need to!
- Under Measuring - While you may think that you win out in this situation by paying less for lawn care, you actually lose in the long run. Under measuring your property, can lead to insufficient amounts of fertilizer,and other lawn care products. It would be similar to seeing a doctor when you were ill, and him/her only providing you with half of the amount of medicine you need.
What YOU Need To Look For When Hiring a Lawn Care Company
Proper measuring is only one area you need to really investigate when choosing a lawn care company. Download our free lawn care hiring guide when comparing lawn care costs and companies. Get your copy by clicking the button below!