You know it’s time to apply pre-emergent weed killer to your lawn when you see your neighbor’s forsythia bush bloom. If you live in the Akron, Cleveland, or Columbus area, it’s nearly time to apply that pre-emergent weed killer because the forsythias are almost ready to burst into color and crabgrass hasn’t emerged from the soil yet.
Here are a couple of tips to help you keep crabgrass from taking over your lawn:
1. Following the forsythia bloom rule which lets you know when the ground is warm enough for crabgrass seeds to develop roots and to grow. You want to get that pre-emergent on your soil before the crabgrass has a chance to propagate.
2. Consider using a fertilizer and pre-emergent combination, sold at your local garden center or big box store, to apply to your soil to keep crabgrass out, but good nutrition in.
3. Be consistent in mowing and fertilizing your lawn on a regular basis. A healthy lawn will grow stronger turf, not allowing a lot of room for crabgrass seeds to take root.
4. Check your lawn for signs of turf disease and insect damage. If you see dead turf, take care of the problem right away.
5. Water your lawn on a regular basis
6. Realize that you won’t rid your yard completely of all crabgrass because everyone in the Akron, Cleveland, and Columbus area has a weed or two in their yards no matter how healthy their lawns.
For some people, taking care of turf problems and staying on top of herbicide application can be cumbersome. Consider hiring a local lawn care professional to regularly feed and weed your lawn. He will be able to properly diagnose any turf problems that your property may have and how to fix it in a timely manner. Your lawn care professional will also have the proper equipment, the know-how, and the best fertilizers and weed preventers to use on your lawn.
If you’re looking for lawn care experts in the Akron, Cleveland, and Columbus areas, call Weed-Pro today at 1-866-724-4555 to schedule your pre-emergent treatment now before the forsythia blossoms fall to the ground.
More Spring Tips & Tricks
Crabgrass is just one of the issues you may face with your lawn this Spring. Weed Pro has you covered with tips & tricks that will have your lawn looking great! The best part is that this download is absolutely free, and yours by clicking the link below!
Wendy Komancheck is an accomplished Freelance Writer for Trade Magazines, Websites, and Local Businesses, specializing in horticultural articles. Check out Wendy's bio and website by Clicking Here. Wendy's Google+ Page