Baby, it’s getting cold outside in the Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio region, and this is the perfect time to think about reseeding your lawn. Following these 8 simple tips can help you get the best results.
Helping After the Summer "Beat Down"
During the summer months, your Ohio lawn takes a beating—from kids playing, to strange weather patterns, to too many shady areas. And there may be bare patches on your yard that you don’t want to let go until the spring.
When It's Time to Reseed Your Lawn
Yet, in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, you need to pay attention to the calendar because if you overseed too late in the autumn, your grass might end up having more weeds than grass growing by next spring.
Here are eight tips to reseeding your lawn:
- Make sure that you start the reseeding process between August 15 through October 15. If you choose to reseed past October 15, you run the risk of your newly seeded lawn not taking root because it didn’t have time to grow strong enough to survive the harsh Ohio winters
- Raking up any loose grass and thatch
- Next, you need to aerate your soil. You can loosen up your soil with raking or you could rent an aerator to mechanically loosen up your soil
- Make sure that you use a grass seed that overwinters well
- Use a spreader to evenly plant grass seeds into the ground. You’ll use less seed and have more successful grass growth in the spring
- The nice part about growing grass in the fall is that you don’t have to irrigate as much as you do in the spring. The longer nights and cooler days allow moisture to stay longer in the soil. Thus, reducing your need to daily water your reseeded yard
- Remember to apply fertilizer to your newly planted lawn. The likelihood of turf diseases and insect infestation from fertilizer is lower because of the season’s cooler temperatures and lower humidity. Also, fertilizer will help your grass plants to develop stronger and longer root systems—which increases the new grass’s survival rate over the winter months
- Save yourself some time, and possibly extra expense, by hiring a professional lawn care service to reseed your lawn. They already have the equipment, will use the correct seed blend, and will be able to better instruct you on the proper amount of irrigation and fertilizer that is needed for your newly established grass.
The fall is a great time to plant new grass on your Cleveland or Columbus, Ohio lawn. If you’d like help with reseeding your lawn this autumn, call Weed-Pro Lawn Care, today, at 1-866-724-4555.
Need More Fall Tips and Tricks? Download Our Guide!
Fall is the perfect time to get your lawn heading in the right direction. Start now, and your lawn will look better this fall, and great next spring! Our Fall Recovery Guide will help walk you through step-by-step how to fix your lawn from the harsh summer months. The best part is that this guide is absolutely free by clicking the button below!
Wendy Komancheck is an accomplished Freelance Writer for Trade Magazines, Websites, and Local Businesses, specializing in horticultural articles. Check out Wendy's bio and website by Clicking Here. Wendy's Google+ Page