As spring approaches, thoughts turn to maintaining your lawn and getting it off on the right foot. For many, this begins with a lawn care fertilizing service from a local lawn care company. Early spring is the advertising peak for lawn care companies, with most promoting their services with a special offer. For consumers weighing their options, it's important to know which offers are good, and which are too good to be true. In today's blog we'll take a look at the TruGreen $29.99 Application offer, and how it may just be too good to be true.
TruGreen's $29.99 Application Offer
For some of you, you've already received the mail piece this late winter from TruGreen promoting their $29.99 application offer. This offer from TruGreen offers the first application of 2014 at the low price of $29.99. While this, or any offer, may seem good, it's always best to read the fine print. So below, we'll outline the good and the "not so" good aspects of this offer from the national giant.
- For Those That Qualify, It's Really $29.99 - Unlike some offers that say one thing than do another, TruGreen really only charges you $29.99 for your first application, which is refreshing in this day and age. The only caveat is that you have to meet their requirements to receive this pricing.
- National Brand That's Been Around - Ok, so this isn't on the advertising, however I thought it was important to bring up. TruGreen is a respected National lawn care company that has been around since 1973. That type of stability is important when weighing options.
The "Not So" Good
- Applies to Only 5,000 Sqft (Most Lawns 8,000 or More) - One of the biggest caveats in this offer is that the $29.99 only applies for those lawns that are 5,000 square feet or under. So if your treatable property is larger than 50 x 100 feet, you will have to pay regular prices. With most Ohio lawns averaging 8,000 to 10,000 square feet, this quickly eliminates a majority of home owners.
- First Application, and New Customers ONLY - While this may seem pretty obvious, some people incorrectly assume that their applications for the entire season will be set at $29.99. If you do meet all the requirements for this offer, your pricing will go back to normal for your remaining applications.
- Requires Purchase of an Annual Plan - To take advantage of this offer, you must choose one of TruGreen's annual care plans. With three different plans to choose from, each plan contains six fertilizer applications with a variation of additional services.
- Only For Consumers Who Use Easy-Pay or Pre-Pay - Securing your $29.99 application price will also require you to pre-pay for the annual lawn care program up front, or set up an automatic easy-pay program through your credit card.
Weighing Clever Advertising Versus Real Value
While at face value advertisements may make a lawn care company seem more attractive, their true worth is demonstrated by the end results. If your a consumer looking to hire a lawn care company there are several key things that will separate the great companies from those that rely on clever advertising to sell product. That's why we've put together a step-by-step guide on what you need to look for when hiring a lawn care company. This "Ultimate Lawn Care Hiring Guide" is your's absolutely free by clicking on the link below!
|Shaun Kanary has been a part of the Green Industry for the past 15 years. As the Director of Marketing for Weed Pro Lawn Care, a Cleveland and Columbus Lawn Care Service Provider, Shaun is a regular contributor to the Weed Pro Blog, and other industry magazine and blogs.
Shaun on Google+ Shaun on LinkedIn Shaun on Twitter