- Measure To Know How Much To Use: The first mistake many homeowners make trying to DIY fertilizing their own lawns is to guess how much product to use. Similar to a person taking medicine, your lawn only needs a certain amount of fertilizer. Measuring your lawn can help you determine how many bags you should buy, and apply to your lawn. It's best to break up the areas of your lawn into sections for easy measuring and application of product.
- Plan for 6 Applications that Deliver the Right Amount of Fertilizer Throughout the Season: It's also important that your lawn receives no more than 5 pounds of nitrogen spaced throughout the season, so make sure that it is spread evenly throughout your applications, with the summer months receiving a little less.
- Pre Emergent Crabgrass Control: In Ohio, crabgrass becomes a big problem during the summer months. This is why it's so important to pay extra money in the spring to get crabgrass pre-emergent to prevent crabgrass from popping up in May and June. (Read more about crabgrass prevention)
- Grub Prevention: Often I hear, "I've never had grubs before, so I don't need grub protection." That's usually the kiss of death and the beginning of the end for your lawn. It's true that you may never get grubs. However if you do, and you don't have this protection, there is no "recovery" for your lawn. You will end up replanting your entire lawn after they destroy your turf's root system. Think of it as Life Insurance for your lawn. You may never use it, but you'll sleep better at night knowing you have it. (Read more about Grub Prevention)
- Liquid Weed Control (Every Application): Often, buying a weed and feed fertilizer application a couple of times throughout the year will suffice; right? The answer is an OVERWHELMING no. Weed control must be applied throughout each application, with touch ups being performed in-between treatments. Liquid weed control provides quicker results, allowing you to kill weeds faster. Plan for at least 8 applications of weed control throughout the year, so stock up with a large two and a half gallon container to handle all the applications
- Surface Insect Control (Applications through the Summer Months): Fleas, ticks and chinch bugs wreak havoc on your lawn, pets and family throughout the season. The quickest way to prevent them from hurting your lawn and your family is to stop them where they live. Weed Pro provides their customers with a free spring surface insect control, and 3 additional applications at a reasonable cost. It's your way of keeping surface insects from becoming a problem throughout the year. (Read more about Surface Insect Protection)
- Aeration & Iron Application (Depending on pH Levels from a Soil Test): Often overlooked in a lawn care program is a fall aeration and iron application. Providing your lawn's compressed soil with an aeration can open up thousands of holes that will allow oxygen to reach your turf's roots and spur growth. Additionally, an iron treatment will allow your lawn to obtain a rich, full, deep green color giving it a healthy look after a tough summer.
Sometimes the Hassle of Doing It Yourself Isn't Worth it. Hire the Right Professional with Our Free Guide!
We all tackle DIY projects from time to time, however some turn out to be more of a headache than we thought. So if lawn care turns out to be one of those things that you don't want to attempt yourself, we've put together everything you need to know when hiring a professional, and put it into a free guide that you can download that will help you through the process. Download it for free by clicking on the button below!